In order to receive the 75% reimbursement described in “Participant Benefits,” potential participants will need to meet the following criteria:
- Own their home, with no intention to move in the next two years, and have an internet connection (cable, DSL, or satellite).
- This facilitates the project’s ETS system assessment efforts.
- Own a home that is sufficiently energy efficient and with a heat load suitable for an ETS system.
- This ensures a properly sized ETS system is available for the home, which is primarily a concern for homes currently heated by heating oil or propane.
- The energy efficiency of potential participants’ homes will be assessed through an energy audit, as described in “Energy Efficiency Requirements”.
- Applicants with insufficiently efficient homes will be encouraged to take advantage of the Energy Branch’s numerous energy efficiency rebates (check out their website here), with the possibility of their eligibility being reconsidered upon the completion of energy retrofits.
- Live within Whitehorse city limits*.
- * Yukoners outside of Whitehorse city limits are welcome to apply, though we may be unable to consider their eligibility due to budget constraints.
- This minimizes the cost of travel and logistics for this small-scale demonstration project.
- Our intention with this demonstration project is to encourage the implementation of ETS-specific rebates that would apply to all Yukoners.
Notes: Only one home per participant will be considered. This maximizes the number of Yukoners who can take part in the pilot project. Some participants’ homes may require an electrical upgrade to 200 A service, the feasibility of which will be assessed during the participant selection process. YCS reserves the right to exercise its sole discretion in its selection of participants for this project.
Energy Efficiency Requirements
Part of the participant selection process will be the completion of an energy audit to assess the potential participants’ home energy efficiency and heat load. The Yukon Government’s Energy Branch (also known as the Energy Solutions Center) offers discounted energy audits (also known as residential energy assessments) for $50. The results of these energy audits provide homeowners with valuable information regarding their home’s energy usage and how they can make their home more efficient, bringing down their electrical and heating costs. While potential participants will be required to cover this cost to proceed through the participant selection process, selected participants will have their energy audits reimbursed. Potential participants who have recent energy audit results with no notable changes to the home since the date of the assessment may not be required to arrange a new audit; this will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Energy audits performed since January 1, 2019 will be preferred.