Porcupine Caribou: Celebrate and learn about the herd
You're invited to a celebration of the Porcupine Caribou!
This event will combine traditional knowledge, management and science with films, crafts, and kids' activities. Learn about and get inspired by the Porcupine Caribou Herd, one of the last remaining healthy barren ground herds:
- Hear from the experts about the caribou's history, ecology, and future.
- Bring your family to take part in caribou-themed crafts and fun learning activities.
- Hear from the creatorsof Vadzaih, the new antler-to-hoof cookbook!
- Watch both new and classic films on caribou, including a sneak peek of "Camera Trap", the upcoming documentary about Peter Mather's quest to photograph the herd.
Recently, barren ground caribou have been listed as threatened in Canada. It is important to celebrate the health of the Porcupine Caribou Herd and the value of intact habitat for these magnificent animals. This event will teach Yukoners about the caribou, and equip those involved in caribou management with up-to-date knowledge.
Friday April 21
9am-12:30pm – Introduction to caribou management and the threats they face
12:30pm – Vadzaih Caribou Cookbook presentation
2-4:30 – Talks and panel on keeping the Porcupine Caribou Herd healthy
6:30-9pm – Films & Book Launch
- Patagonia "The Refuge"
- Launch of new book "Dempster: The Road to So Much More" by the Friends of Dempster Country Society
- Sneak peek of "Camera Trap" documentary
Saturday April 22
9am-11:30am – Film, crafts, and other fun activities for kids
1-3pm – Caribou heritage talks with handicraft display
3-4:30pm – "Being Caribou" film and talk
This event is made possible thanks to:
~ the City of Whitehorse Environmental Grant
~ the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th, a collaboration between Canadian community foundations, the Government of Canada, and extraordinary leaders from coast to coast to coast
~ the Friends of Dempster Country
A detailed agenda of the Porcupine Caribou event on Friday April 21 and Saturday April 22, 2017.
Related News & Events
April 24, 2017
In April, YCS held an event celebrating the Porcupine Caribou Herd in partnership with the Porcupine Caribou Management Board and Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation. Click here to learn more.