Twitter Instagram Facebook


YCS helps people get outside and promotes awareness, appreciation, and understanding of the Yukon’s ecosystems.


YCS supports the conservation and protection of Yukon wild places.


YCS supports humane, sustainable and responsible management of wildlife.


YCS is a watchdog for industrial development and researches smart solutions for our territory.

Participant Benefits and Expectations

Project Benefits

The Yukon Conservation Society (YCS) will be covering up to 75%* of total purchase and installation costs for eligible participants upon installation of their electric thermal storage (ETS) systems. An additional 10% will be reimbursed at the culmination of this two-year demonstration project, provided the participant meets the expectations described in "Participant Expectations," below. Our intention is that the average up-front cost for participants (the 25%* not initially reimbursed by YCS) will be below $5,000, though this value is expected to vary signficantly between participants.

Aside from the financial benefits for participants, this project brings numerous benefits for all Yukoners. We are seeking to shift some of Whitehorse’s electricity demand to the overnight hours, which would smooth out the demand on the local electrical grid and reduce the amount of fossil fuels that Yukon Energy Corporation (YEC) needs to use to keep the lights on. This would improve Yukon’s energy independence and reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, building a healthier and stronger future for the territory.

* YCS is covering a total of 100% of eligible costs for participants who register by January 31st, 2021! 90% will be covered upon installation, with the remaining 10% initially covered by the participant but reimbursed by YCS at the end of the project.

Participant Expectations

In return for the reimbursement described in “Participant Benefits,” participants will agree to allow data to be collected to support the efforts of the Northern Energy Innovation team (NEI, based at Yukon University) in pursuit of the project’s objective for the duration of the demonstration project (see Data Collection). This will include pre-arranged access to participants’ homes to install and monitor supplemental data collection equipment, as necessary, and remote collection of coded data by NEI staff assigned to the project.

Participants will also agree to permit YEC to monitor and control their ETS systems to support YEC’s contributions to the project’s objective. This monitoring and control will exist for the duration of the demonstration project. Further information regarding data collection may be found in the “Data Collection” section.

Upon the culmination of the demonstration project, participants who supported the project through consistent cooperation with YCS and its project partners will be reimbursed an additional 10% as mentioned in Participant Benefits. This will bring the total reimbursement to 85% (or 100%, as per above) of the total eligible ETS system purchase and installation costs.

You Can Help

Join YCS as a member, volunteer, or donor to sustain our work. Sign up below to receive bi-weekly emails with YCS news and events.

Connect With Us!